Sunday, May 16, 2010

Weekly Reflection

I have really enjoyed this past week of starting my quilt. I have already learned a large amount with the help of Deb. She knows so much about different sewing and quilting techniques and does an excellent job teaching them to me. I was amazed to see all of the other bags and clothes she has made herself just with a sewing machine.

After a long week of tedious cutting and trimming, I am finally beginning to notice my quilt coming together. I had no idea how long it would take to cut and iron the jerseys before I even began to sew them. Throughout the week, I learned a number of different cutting and sewing techniques. I learned the best way to use a rotary cutter, but due to a dull blade I made most of my cuts with fabric scissors. This made it a little more challenging to cut straight lines, but I grew a steady hand and found different ways to make my cuts as straight as possible. As funny as it sounds, I never had much experience with ironing before this week. Now I am an experienced and skilled "ironer" as I learned it is best to start from the middle out while ironing fabric. My accuracy while using a sewing machine has already improved tremendously as well. I learned how to thread a sewing machine, as I always had trouble doing it correctly before. I am also more confident while sewing as I noticed my lines have become straighter. I have learned many different sewing "terms" such as a zig zag stitch, quilt binding, and batting. Deb had me practice my sewing and ironing on practice pieces of fabric before I began doing it to the actual jerseys. This made me more confident with sewing ability before I began sewing the actual jerseys.

Besides deciding not to add the gold quilt binding, Deb and I are sticking to our original plan of what we would like the quilt to look like. I am very excited to see my progress next week, as I am sure that I will be close to finishing.

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited to see that your quilt is starting to come together! I have always wanted to make a quilt, so it is great to watch you go through the process to see how much time it takes to complete this task. Love the idea of the jerseys! Keep up the good work, Em!
    Love,
    Christina D.

    ReplyDelete