Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Day 8

When I arrived at Deb's house today we began by laying out my quilt on top of a measuring board. She then showed me a trick on how to make the bottom of the cut fabric straight by pulling the pieces of fabric across the bottom causing it to fray. On most fabrics this will cause a completely straight line, but it didn't seem to be working very well with the fabric that we were using as it continued to bunch and tear. We then decided to use the lines on the measuring board as our guide, so I followed these while cutting the fabric to form a straight line. I left 4 inches of white fabric on the top and bottom of my quilt, and 3 inches on the sides. Once this was completed, I sewed about an inch along the border of the green fabric to use as a guide of where to fold and iron. This made the fabric look straighter and smoother. Once I was done ironing, I laid the green border fabric on its front side. I then placed the batting on top of it. Finally, I placed the white fabric with the jerseys sewn onto it on top of the background fabric and the batting. Deb and I then folded the green fabric over the white edges to create the border. We pinned this down tightly, so it wont move at all for when I begin to sew it on tomorrow. I forgot to take a picture of what I have accomplished today and I realize that it may sound frantic and confusing without a visual, so I will make sure to upload one tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment